Jun 7, 2010

Carmelized Chicken and Cutting it up

Caramelized Baked Chicken... whether sweet or savory, if the recipe has the word "caramel" in it, I will make it. So obviously this was a must try. It was pretty good the night I made it... but it was especially good the next day reheated! All the flavors were able to meld together and the chicken had soaked up all the sauce... mmm... yes, much better the next day.

I think the highlight of the dinner was my culinary triumph of cutting up a whole chicken by myself! I know, it's pretty sad that it's taken me this long to try it - but when you have a bag of Tyson chicken breasts in the freezer, what need is there to cut up a whole chicken? The most I had done with a whole chicken was throw it in a crock pot and turn the button to low. But hey, that takes skill right? Ok fine, so not really, but that's why I love my crock pot!

Here's my chicken cutting station: two cutting boards (just in case things get out of hand), big knife, baking dish, and my "how-to" notes.

We're going in for surgery! I think Sweet Boy thought he was my assistant because he kept trying to hand me things during the process: food, toys, anything to help.

TahDahh! I did it! Not bad huh? I thought my pieces looked pretty good. I was definitely intimidated at first... but no more! It was actually pretty easy. One tip: next time I will sharpen my knife right before diving in because I think a sharper knife would have helped tremendously.

All I did for the chicken was pour the sauce over the top and bake it. Easy as pie. Or should I say, easy as cutting up a chicken!
Here's the recipe if you want to try it: Caramelized Baked Chicken. It calls for chicken wings, but obviously I did a whole chicken and it worked fine. Although, the breasts didn't caramelize as well as the dark meat for some reason. And like I said, it was definitely better the following day as leftovers with some white rice (or the coconut rice). The recipe states to bake at 375 F for 1 hour, but I baked it at 400 for about 35-45 minutes (I can't remember the exact time - so just watch it close). Also, bring the sauce to a boil on the stove top before pouring it over the chicken. That should help it caramelize.

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment