Mar 5, 2010

Shrimp Linguine, Spinach Salad, and PlayDough

I was pretty skeptical about this dish, but the ratings and reviews were so good that I couldn't pass it by. Good thing I didn't! It is a definite keeper. We never buy shrimp - mostly because I'm not sure what to do with it besides open a bottle of cocktail sauce. However, I was feeling adventurous this week, so those little crustaceans were mine! Ok, so maybe shrimp aren't that adventurous... but at least they seem more exciting than chicken.

I mean... look at that... if peeled shrimp skins aren't exotic and thrilling then I don't know what is.

(Haha... I had to throw that picture in here somewhere. Bleh...!)

My favorite meals these days are quick, easy, and delicious. This was all three, which is hard to come by. The best part was that S.D. and Sweet Boy loved it too! Like I said, definitely a keeper. I served it with a spinach salad and Italian bread.


I had to substitute some ingredients for what I had on hand, but I think the original recipes would be just as good if not better than what I made tonight. Originals: Shrimp Lemon Pepper Linguini, Jamie's Cranberry Spinach Salad.

Shrimp Linguine

8 oz. linguine noodles
1 T. olive oil
6 cloves garlic minced
1 1/4 c. chicken broth
1 lime, juiced
1/2 t. lime zest
1/4 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 1/2 T. dried parsley
1/2 T. dried basil
1/4 c. vegan butter
1 lb. deveined, peeled shrimp

Cook linguine noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat olive oil over med heat and saute garlic for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, lemon juice, zest, salt, pepper, parsley, and basil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced by about half. Add butter and stir until melted. Add shrimp and heat until warm (about 1 minute). Add linguine and toss together.

Spinach Salad Dressing

1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. canola oil
1 t. dried chopped onion
1/4 t. paprika
1/2 c. sugar (I ended up adding a T. or so more because I liked it a little sweeter)

Combine all ingredients and whisk together. Pour over a mix of spinach, dried cranberries, and almonds.

After dinner, we decided to play with a little play dough. I noticed most recipes for edible play dough are made with peanut butter, but I found this one online. It's so easy and works really well. Next time I will add some food coloring to it too. All you do is mix 1 part flour, 2 parts oatmeal, and 1 part water. If it's too sticky add a little flour to get the right consistency. As you can see, Sweet Boy likes it when we make balls with the play dough. Then he gets to toss them around, and eat them too! Yuck... he gets that from his dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment