Mar 3, 2010

Zucchini Bread

I first saw zucchini bread when I was a sophomore in college. I remember thinking "What?!? Zucchini in bread?!? You've gone mad!" I have grown up eating pumpkin bread, cranberry bread, banana bread, poppy seed bread, etc., but never, ever zucchini bread. Well, here I am now, a mom trying to sneak vegetables into pretty much anything. So thank goodness for zucchini bread! It's healthy and delicious! Really though... it was DE-LICIOUS. I will probably have to retire the veggie muffins and stick with this zucchini bread. Sweet Boy ate 2 whole muffins... all at once! That's big for him.

I was able to get one loaf and 9 muffins out of this recipe. I changed it slightly from the original to make it a bit healthier. What's the point of putting zucchini in bread if it's still unhealthy right?
Zucchini Bread

1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
3 t. ground cinnamon
3 eggs equivalent of Ener-G egg replacer
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. apple sauce
1 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 t. vanilla (I ran out of vanilla, so I used cream of coconut... quite good actually)
3 c. grated zucchini
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 bread loaf pans (or 1 loaf pan and 9 muffin tins). Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Blend Ener-G in food processor until thick (about 1 minute). Beat together Ener-G, oil, apple sauce, sugars, and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in zucchini. Pour into loaf pans and bake for 40-60 minutes. If making muffins, bake for 20-23 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment