Feb 21, 2010

Almost Molten Chocolate Cakes


Ok, so I know I lost a little credibility with some of you because of the last post. Well, I'm making up for it here! There's no veggies in these! Ever since S.D. introduced me to my first Molten Lava Chocolate Cake at Chili's, I've been in love. No no, not with S.D, I was in love with him way before that. I'm talking about the cake. Oh... it's one of those desserts that just make you giddy! Warm ooey gooey fudge spilling out of a moist spongy chocolate cake - what could be better? I don't think we've ever ordered another dessert at a restaurant if Molten Chocolate Cake is an option. Nothing can compare.

Of course, one of the things that make a molten chocolate cake, well, "molten" are all the eggs (I'm just assuming since most recipes call for 2-3 eggs plus 2-3 egg yolks). Since my Sweet Boy can't have eggs, something else had to be done. I did find 2 vegan recipes for molten cakes online. One of them has you scoop out the inside of the cake once it is baked and then fill it with the fudge - but that seemed like cheating. And the other recipe had veggies in it. Haha... it's a wonder I didn't pick that one.

So anyways, I decided to try something different. Unfortunately... it didn't work. But it was still amazingly good! It turned out to be more like that Eaglebrand Chocolate Poke Cake instead of a molten lava cake.


I made my own sweetened condensed soy milk (sounds difficult, but sooooo easy). After baking the cakes in jumbo cupcake tins I poked holes in the tops and poured my sweetened condensed milk inside the holes. Actually... it was sweetened condensed milk mixed with Hershey's syrup. Who knew Hershey's syrup was dairy free? I didn't, so good thing I had it anyways. Well, I also made my favorite fudge sauce, soy style, and used a Ziploc bag with an icing tip to pump those suckers full of fudge! I was expecting a gushing Mount Rushmore! It was more like a leaky faucet. But hey, if my faucet was leaking fudge I certainly wouldn't complain.

Ah yes, that's better. What's the point of chocolate cake without a little ice cream on top? Less is not more in this case.

You can see a slight amount of fudginess in this next picture.


I wonder if Sweet Boy liked it?

Oh yes, yes he did. He ate more than I thought he would. That was a big piece for a little guy.

Messiness all around... makes me happy!

So, even though these weren't really "Molten" Chocolate Cakes, they were definitely company-worthy, definitely unbelievable that they were dairy-free and egg-free, and definitely DE-LICIOUS!

Here's the recipe:

Almost Molten Chocolate Cakes

Vegan Chocolate Cake (I used this recipe, which was perfect http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crazy-Cake/Detail.aspx)
2.5 c. Soy Milk
3/4 c. white granulated sugar
1/4 c. Hershey's Syrup
6 oz. semi-sweet Bakers chocolate
4 T. vegan butter
1 c. powdered sugar - sifted

Bring soy milk to a boil over med heat in saucepan and simmer uncovered until reduced to 1 cup (about 45 min-1 hour). Pour half a cup of reduced milk into another saucepan and set aside. Stir granulated sugar into original saucepan until completely dissolved. Add Hershey's syrup and refrigerate. Prepare cake as directed and pour into jumbo muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees F for 23-26 minutes or until tops of cakes spring back when lightly touched. Meanwhile prepare fudge by adding chocolate and butter to remaining saucepan of reduced milk. Heat over med-low and stir continually until smooth. Add and stir in powdered sugar. After cakes have cooled 10-15 minutes, poke 5 holes in each cake with the end of a wooden spoon. Pour refrigerated milk mixture into holes. Scoop fudge sauce into pastry or Ziploc bag fitted with large icing tip. Stick the tip halfway into cakes and squeeze a good amount of fudge into each cake. Flip over onto plate and serve immediately. Or, keep in muffin tins and refrigerate until needed (just heat up in microwave before serving). Serve with whip cream, ice cream, or just a little powdered sugar.

***Note: I changed the serving size to 6 when making the Crazy Cake recipe - this made 4 jumbo cupcakes and I had some milk syrup and fudge sauce leftover to make about 2-4 more cakes***

2 comments:

  1. I have tried many versions of lava cake and finally found one that works for me. It is from the Ghirardelli website. They have you make a ball of chocolate ganache that you freeze and drop in the center of your chocolate cake batter before cooking. They recommend a small amount of Chocolate ganache. I use 2 TBSP formed into a ball per cake, which is more than they recommend. Just thought I'd share. my blog is emilychef.wordpress.com if you want to see a picture of one I baked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks emilychef! I'll definitely try that!

    ReplyDelete