Feb 11, 2010

Valentine Oreo Balls

Here is my passion in life... dessert. Oh, how I love dessert. Especially now that I've sworn myself to only eating it twice a week (still working towards that goal... baby steps right?). It's the most fun to make, to eat, and to clean up after (licking the bowl). It's just wonderful!

Once I found out about Sweet Boy's allergies, I wasn't sure how to do dessert. Cakes, cookies, ice creams, they were all out. Then someone said those magical words I will never forget - "He can have Oreos." TaDahhh....! That was a great day.

Since then I have discovered how to make cookies, cakes, and other things he can eat. But we still love Oreos. One day I was making Oreo Balls to take to a Super Bowl party, and I thought... how could I make these for Sweet Boy? He can have the Oreos, he can have the dipping chocolate, but not the cream cheese. Then there was a light bulb moment. His soy yogurt... perfecto! And it was perfect. Dare I say even better than the cream cheese ones. So, here's what to do...

First thing's first, set aside 7 Oreos. Then crush up the rest of the pack. Try not to eat too many along the way... I know it's tempting. You can use your food processor like I did, or a ziplock bag and some elbow grease. Then stir in 4-8 oz of soy yogurt (I used a strawberry flavor and it was delicious!). I know 4-8 is a big range, but I only made a few so I didn't actually measure out the yogurt. The original recipe calls for 8 oz of cream cheese, but the yogurt has more moisture in it. Therefore, you probably wont need as much. Start out with 4 oz; if you can form it into a ball then it's good. Otherwise, add more yogurt a little at a time until it will easily form into a ball. If it gets too sticky, crush up the 7 cookies you set aside at the beginning and add them to the mixture.
Roll into 1 inch balls, form into heart shapes, and freeze for 5 minutes. In the meantime, melt some chocolate for dipping as directed on the package . Obviously I used white chocolate for these hearts, but only because I was taking them to people. If they were for Sweet Boy then I would use Bakers Semi-Sweet Chocoalte or a vegan chocolate.

After the hearts are done chilling, dip them in your melted chocolate using a spoon. Shake off the extra choclate and place on wax paper. After they harden you are ready to enjoy. Okay, so if you're like me you wont wait until they harden. Mmm... delicious. Now they are ready to package and give away as a cute valentine.





No comments:

Post a Comment