Feb 19, 2010

Veggie Muffins!

Ok look, it's not like it sounds. They're just muffins with certain ingredients that happen to be veggies. Ok fine, it's exactly how it sounds. But they're good! And good for you! Really now, what mom isn't trying to sneak in some veggies here and there into her kids diet? Well, here's the perfect way to do it! I've experimented with it a couple of times, and these are by far the best. So, first thing's first, puree some peas with a little soy milk:

Scary isn't it? Looks like something Shrek would eat. You may not want your kids watching while you make these. There's a good chance they wont even take one bite.

After the peas are fairly smooth (there will still be a few lumps from the shells) you will mix them with some more milk, maple syrup, and wheat bran. Wheat bran has become a staple at my house - you can find it in the health food section of your grocery store.

Now, I couldn't live without the Ener-G egg replacer! I absolutely love it... I do. One day I was on http://www.egglesscooking.com/ (I really like this site) and she said that the Ener-G works better if you blend it until it's thick and use warm water. So, that's what I always do. I should do a side by side experiment to see if it really makes a big difference. Maybe one day.


Here is my blended Ener-G. I usually blend it for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. It's not really thick, but definitely thicker than just stirring.

As you can see, my food processor gets a workout with this recipe. Although my triceps could use the workout, I just pulse the carrots instead of using a grater to shred them all.

And I use the big fat baby carrots, not those skinny wimpy ones. Just wanted you to know in case somebody is crazy enough to try these veggie muffins. (Really... they're good)

So after you get everything chopped and ready, you're going to start mixing. And, where applicable, let a little guy be the helper.

He did such a good job mixing, he got to lick the spatula. Ok, so he decided to pick off the spatula instead of lick off. What can you do...

Now just fill up the muffin tin and stick it in the oven. Twenty minutes later they look something like this...

Almost makes you want to eat one doesn't it? Well, the recipe is below. I adapted it from one of my favorite muffin recipes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Low-Fat-Blueberry-Bran-Muffins/Detail.aspx. You should try that one too... very tasty.

Veggie Muffins
1 1/2 c. wheat bran
about 3/4 c. soy milk, divided
2/3 c. frozen peas, thawed
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/2 c. apple sauce
1 egg equivalent of Ener-G egg replacer
1/3 c. brown sugar (feel free to up this to 2/3 c. if you like your muffins sweeter)
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
12 big fat baby carrots

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour 12 muffin cups. Puree peas with 1/4 c. milk. Pour into liquid measuring cup and add milk to the 1 cup line. Stir in maple syrup and wheat bran. Let that sit for 10 minutes.
Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Blend Ener-G for about 1 minute. Mix together Ener-G, apple sauce, brown sugar, and vanilla. Blend in wheat bran mixture. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just mixed. Fold in carrots.
Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched.


By the way, I do not encourage lying, but these could possibly be passed off as green apple and peach muffins just by looking at them. Depending on your child's age of course. I'm just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment