Feb 4, 2010

Crazy Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza

Well, there it is... isn't it wonderful!?! I get so excited when I make something for Sweet Boy (a.k.a. my baby) that actually looks like the real thing! It was pretty darn tasty too. There is a definite trick in getting that vegan cheese to melt - you have to put foil over it for the last 5-10 minutes. Also, the pizza crust was not wanting to get brown on the bottom, so I stuck it on the bottom rack for 5 minutes at the end and that seemed to do the trick. Other than that, it was as simple as can be. Unroll the dough, slap on some sauce and toppings, and stick it in the oven. I even used canned chicken - I know, I know... yuck right? Well, there's a way to make it edible. (Recipes below)



I also made one of Sweet Boy's favorites - Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Yum... he and I can finish off a whole cookie sheet full of these. The side that touches the pan gets all caramelized and crispy. We like ours really caramelized. Slightly burnt caramelized. It's like... when you're roasting a marshmallow and it catches on fire, and then it has the outer skin that's all burnt and crispy. Ohhh, those are the best kind right?! Well, if you're like my Dear (hubby) and don't like burnt marshmallows then you better just cook them at a lower temperature. Or you can flip them over halfway through the cooking process. But you should try the burnt way at least one time. :)



Sweet Boy really liked the pizza, and he always likes the sweet potatoes. All in all it was a successful dinner (which are sometimes few and far between). Not a scrap of food left - a clean tray is always a good sign. No, wait... there it is...



That's more like it. It wouldn't be dinner without some food on the floor. :) At least he ate most of it.


And at least he eats it off the floor later (after dunking it in the spilled milk of course)! Seriously, I think boys are programmed to do gross things. And no, I don't really let him eat off the floor - not frequently anyways.

Crazy Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza

Can of pizza dough (I used Pillsbury)

Favorite BBQ sauce 2-3 T.

Italian Dressing

12.5 oz. can of chicken

Bush's Baked Beans (optional)

Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (I used Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet)

Pineapple tidbits (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease cookie sheet with cooking spray. Roll out dough onto cookie sheet and spread out with you hands (the more you spread it the thinner the crust will be). Poke with fork all over and put dough in preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat Italian dressing in nonstick skillet over Med-High heat and add chicken. Let it sit and cook until that one side of the chicken is browned (I always like to do this with canned meats - otherwise they're too watery). Flip it over and turn off heat. Take out pizza dough and spread on BBQ sauce. Then layer chicken, beans (I know it sounds weird, but I wanted to beef it up a bit for Sweet Boy - it turned out good surprisingly), cheese, pineapple. Return pizza to oven and cook until sides and bottom of crust are browned (10-15 minutes). Cover with foil for the last 5 minutes to melt cheese.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes

Olive Oil

Salt (to taste)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut sweet potatoes into 1.5 inch cubes. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, toss together and spread out on cookie sheet. Cook in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until tender and desired caramelization is achieved.

1 comment:

  1. Im so excited about your site. It's very well done, and I am eager to follow this!

    ReplyDelete